⁄ Passport ⁄ Platform Components
The rules engine is a core component of the Passport® technology platform that uses customer-defined business
rules to trigger actions within any application built on Passport. The Passport rules engine is a high performance,
enterprise-scalable engine that:
The Passport rules engine is a powerful tool for corporate legal departments, enabling them to streamline business processes,
drive significant cost savings, and automatically and consistently enforce compliance with policy and process among both
internal staff and outside counsel. With its high degree of both flexibility and client-configurability, the Passport
rules engine can support almost any type of rule imaginable, including the ability to:
- Can be leveraged to drive dynamic workflow processes, trigger notifications, and audit data for compliance with corporate standards and guidelines
- Can apply rules to any type of data within the system: matters, people, organizations, financials, etc.
- Has the flexibility to apply a rule system-wide, or, very specifically target a rule’s usage, e.g., apply a rule only to a specific business unit, matter type, practice area, law firm, matter, etc.
- Can leverage any data within the Passport database or even reach into external databases in real-time when applying a rule
- Is fully-configurable using Passport toolkits, which empower clients to easily configure and create rules on their own without requiring assistance from Datacert or a third-party consultant
- Can be extended using the Developer Toolkit when building custom applications on the Passport platform
When used hand-in-hand with Datacert’s industry-leading legal matter and
spend management applications,
the Passport rules engine delivers exceptional operational, financial, and strategic benefits with its
ability to drive departmental efficiency and enable legal staff to focus on higher-value work, automate
and standardize business processes to improve compliance and reduce risk, and support more strategic
pricing and outside counsel sourcing decisions.
- Auto-assign tasks, reminders, and events upon matter creation or closure
- Enforce the capture of key data throughout the matter life cycle – e.g., completion of timekeeper or firm performance reviews, matter disposition at closure, etc.
- Trigger and enforce approvals when needed, such as use of non-preferred counsel or settlement amounts/details
- Trigger notifications to avoid surprises and keep up with key matter events and status changes
- Help monitor and enforce policy changes
- Enforce submission of budgets and warn legal staff when budget thresholds are approached
- Audit for compliance with outside counsel guidelines
- Enforce alternative fee arrangements (AFAs) and negotiated discounts
- Enforce negotiated timekeeper rates
- Audit and correct billing errors and identify duplicate invoices
- Auto-approve routine, small-dollar invoices